After strictly following the paleo diet for three years and then the autoimmune protocol for one year, I like to think I have a pretty firm handle on living a full life on a restricted diet. No one wants to feel like they are being inhibited by their health or diet, we want to live life to its fullest and have our health too. When Thanksgiving and Christmas came around I had loads of delicious AIP recipes up my sleeve that would leave even the junkiest of eaters feeling happy and satisfied. Easter? No Problem. Fourth of July? Oh Please, easy. Valentines Day? Ugh… Problem
I am not a cynic when it comes to Valentine’s Day, I love love and I love to celebrate, so any excuse to celebrate and have fun during an otherwise lame midwinter month is fine by me. The only problem is how to celebrate it. Most people celebrate Valentine’s Day with some form of meal. They go out for a fancy dinner or stay home for a romantic candle lit supper. Neither of those options are particularly great when you are on the autoimmune protocol. Going out to eat is possible, but it is more of a challenge than it is often worth, especially when you are looking at paying an arm and a leg for some bland chicken and vegetables worse than anything you could make at home. Yet, when you make dinner at home EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. There is nothing romantic about a trip to the supermarket and a dirty kitchen.
Well, don’t fret. St. Valentine never said that in order to show your appreciation for a loved one you have to eat dinner with them. There are many fun ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day and enjoy time with your loved one that don’t involve food. I’ve put together a little list of 20 ideas to get you started down the path to a memorable, romantic, healthy and fun February 14th!
- Be Children At Heart: Be kids for a day, go play mini golf, go to an arcade, battle each other in laser tag and race some bumper cars! You’ll be laughing your head off and creating a memorable day!
- Go For a Hike: Few things are more romantic than nature, there will be pretty views and lots of time to talk and laugh together.
- Watch the Sun Rise: Every day the sun rises and sets and we take very little time to notice it. Make Valentine’s Day special by sharing a cup of tea, curling up under a blanket in your PJs and watching the sun come up.
- Have a Movie Marathon at Home: Do you have a movie series or TV show you both love? Have a marathon. Make some yummy AIP friendly snacks, curl up on the couch and spend the day together. My Hubby and I used to do this with the TV show Scrubs!
- Go Star Gazing: It may seem cliché but where’s the fun in Valentine’s Day without alittle bit ofsappiness? Make some of this salted caramel hot “Chocolate” put it in a thermos and go check out the stars!
- Go to a Museum: Shared experience is the heart of most relationships so go learn some fun facts together (added bonus, a lot of museums are free!)
- Listen to Live Music: Find out which bars or venues in the area have live music and go check it out. Even if it is at a bar you can order a sparkling water and just enjoy the music!
- Go Skiing or Sledding: If its too chilly to hike then break out those skis. Afterwards maybe you can cuddle up by the fire!
- Go Ice Skating: I am terrible at ice skating, but I love it. It always makes me laugh and it is one of the few fun ways to enjoy the cold! It is also great exercise.
- Make a Camp Fire: This is one of my favorites! One of the first things I ever bought myself with my own money was a fire pit because I absolutely love sitting by a fire on a cold night. Build a fire, sit some warm tea and just enjoy it.
- Go Window Shopping for your Dream Home: My hubby and I did this a lot when we were dating. Go window shopping at your favorite stores or at the mall and pick out all of the things you would like in your dream house. Its fun to imagine your future and its basically like creating a real life Pinterest Board!
- Go On a Scavenger Hunt: This could take on many different shapes and sizes, but you get the idea! Maybe create a scavenger hunt of places that are significant to you and your partner for some added romance.
- Get Massages: Why not relax and pamper yourself to celebrate? Get a couples massage and relax together.
- Take a Class Together: Is there something you’ve been hoping to try out but haven’t done it yet? Take a kickboxing class, a yoga class, ballroom dancing, rock climbing?
- Have a Game Night: When was the last time you played a board game? Bust out the Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Yahtzee, and Clue and have a game night! Nothing like a little competition to heat things up 😉
- Volunteer: Ready to pay it forward? Spend the day loving on your community by volunteering for a great cause.
- Rent a Moped: This was one of my mine and my hubby’s first dates. We rented a moped and drove around time exploring. It was hilarious and I just laughed the whole time we still look back on it and laugh today.
- Go Exploring: How well do you know your town or city? Go exploring, you can even pretend to be tourists in your own town and go hit all of those sites you always meant to see but didn’t.
- Have a Photo Shoot: This idea is great because it can also double as a romantic gift. Whether you hire someone to do it or your break our your tripod its fun to be silly and take some nice photos that you will treasure. When you’re done you can pick your favorites and get them printed and give them to each other as gifts.
- Bowling: A Classic